Ask The Manager: When Did Pottstown's Trolley Stop?
Pottstown Manager Jason Bobst answers questions from Pottstown Patch readers.
Pottstown Patch reader Dene Liott asked, "When did the trolley stop running on High Street?"
Pottstown Manager Jason Bobst answered:
"A group of Pottstown businessmen established electric trolley service in 1893. The Pottstown Passenger Railway Company connected Pottstown with the village of Stowe and Sanatoga Park via High Street. A second line operated from the Reading Railroad’s Pottstown train station to Ringing Rocks Park in 1894 using Hanover, Beech, Charlotte and Mervine streets where the trolley entered a private right of way to reach the park.
The Schuylkill Valley Traction Company linked Pottstown with Norristown and Chestnut Hill with interurban service in 1905. Service to Boyertown with connecting service to Reading via Ringing Rocks Park was inaugurated in 1908. The High Street line was extended eastward from Sanatago Park to Linfield in 1915.
The Great Depression and the economic downturn of the 1930s helped seal the fate of trolley companies. SVTC’s service to Norristown was discontinued in 1932, followed by Pottstown Transit’s High Street service in 1936."
More reader questions and answers: